PostgreSQL Tutorial (Introduction)
PostgreSQL uses open source standards to create its databases. It is an object-oriented Database management system that uses and extends the SQL language. It has many features to manage complicated datasets. We interact with the database using GUI. Therefore it is the most popular and feature-rich administration and development platform for PostgreSQL
PostgreSQL is developed by the Database Research Group in 1986. Named as ‘POSTGRES PROJECT’ at the University of California at Berkeley.
Why makes PostgreSQL different?
PostgreSQL satisfies more mandatory features than any other SQL database engine.
- Robustness: PostgreSQL is a robust and high-quality software. Therefore it is supported by automated testing for both features and concurrency.
- Ease of use: PostgreSQL is Clear, full and accurate documentation exists as a result. Therefore its ease of use is simplified.
- Security: To access the PostgreSQL is controllable via host-based access rules. A full-featured cryptographic function library for every database users.
- Extensibility: PostgreSQL is designed to be highly extensible. Database extensions can be loaded easily using CREATE EXTENSION. This is a feature which automates the version checks, dependencies, and other aspects of configuration.
Many extensions are available for PostgreSQL, including the PostGIS extension that provides world-class Geographical Information System(GIS) features.
- Scalability: PostgreSQL 9.6 scales well on a single node up to 4 CPU sockets. PostgreSQL scales well up to hundreds of active sessions. You can use up to thousands of connected sessions when using a session pool.
PostgreSQL has the ability to provides multi-node read scalability using the Hot Standby feature. Multi-node scalability is under active development.
PostgreSQL Database is open source meaning that you have a permissive license to install and distribute PostgreSQL without paying anyone, any fees.
PostgreSQL is portable that means available on a wide range of platforms because it is written on ANSIC. As a result of it available for different platforms and reliable.
It is also available as hosted or cloud solutions from a variety of companies like Apple, Fujitsu, Red Hat, Cisco, Juniper Network etc, since it runs very well in the cloud environment.
It is highly extensible, you can add your own datatypes, operators, index types and functional languages.
PostgreSQL supports many kinds of data models
Primitives: Integer, Numeric, String, Boolean
Ststoreed: Date/Time, Array, Range, UUID
Document: JSON/JSONB, XML, Key-value
(key/value stores are supported using the hstore engine)
Geometry: Point, Line, Circle, Polygon
Network Address: IPV4 and IPV6
One of the best cloud service Amazon Web Service(AWS) uses PostgreSQL for database Storage. AWS has more recently that PostgreSQL is their fastest growing service.
In the early days, when PostgreSQL was still a research database, the focus was slowly on the cool features. Over the years, enormous amounts of code have been written and improved. Therefore it gives us the largest software servers available for operational use.
PostgreSQL is an amazing database, going to say that PostgreSQL has become the preferred open source and a relational database for many enterprise developers and start-ups, powering leading geospatial and mobile applications.
As stated my Hypothesis, I feel that PostgreSQL is one of the world’s most advanced open source database system.