Over 358 people have rated [5/5]
In this article, we are going to see the differences and situations where Django performs better and the instances where Laravel performs better. Let us start.
What is Django?
Django is an open-source framework that is used for web development and is written in the Python programming language. The architecture pattern that is followed by this framework is the MVT or Model View Template architecture. This framework is heavily used to develop complex web applications
The Django framework was developed and created by the Django Software Foundation. Django was initially released in the year 2005. Django was licensed by the Berkeley Software Distribution license. Django is being used in some well-known websites like Mozilla, Instagram, Pinterest, Bitbucket, and many more.
All the maintenance, as well as releases, were managed by the Django Software Foundation. Django is proven to be lightweight and has a standalone feature for development and testing purposes. The primary purpose of the development of Django was to ease the development of complex web applications in less time and effort.
What is Laravel?
Laravel is an open-source framework that is used for web development and is written and coded in the PHP programming language. This framework follows the MVC or Model View Controller pattern. Laravel also provides a rich set of functionalities that is similar to Ruby on Rails. Laravel can be used to develop and design a content management system (CMS) based applications.
Laravel was initially created and developed by Taylor Otwell. Laravel has been licensed by the MIT foundation. It was first released in the year 2011. Programmers need basic knowledge and advanced know-how of PHP to develop applications. Laravel is used to develop a Content Management System (CMS) based applications. Laravel has an upscale feature to provide more user traffic.
The developer time to code applications has been reduced due to Laravel and it also provides inbuilt features that ease coding applications and maintenance. Laravel has many good features to develop web applications from scratch in an easier and useful way.
Let look at a head-to-head comparison between Django and Laravel
Django is a full-stack web application framework that is coded and written in Python
Laravel is a full-stack web application framework that is coded and written in PHP
|Django is maintained by the Django Software Foundation|
Laravel is being developed and maintained by the developer itself and their community under the MIT license
It follows a Model View Template (MVT), model
|It follows a Model View Controller (MVC), model|
Django supports cross-platform development
|Laravel also supports cross-platform development|
|It supports rapid development features and provides great support from the community users group.|
It has a clean architecture and has a growing community users base
Django supports high scalability
Laravel also supports high scalability but the only difference is the language used to write the framework.
It has a vast community developers users base
Laravel community is growing at a fast pace but it does not have a huge community as compared to Django.
|Several frameworks also exist for Python|
Laravel is the only framework that is considered written in PHP.
- Django is a high-level framework that is based on Python and provides rapid action development as well as a clean design solution whereas Laravel is also a web application framework that provides an elegant syntax along with different features such as routing, authentication, sessions and caching.
- Django is able to provide rapid app development, greater community base, great packages, great libraries as well as an easy to learn environment, whereas Laravel provides quick development mode, dependency injection, application architecture, good community packages, MVC model architecture, and growing community base.
- Django has a few cons in a few areas such as unsupported or less performance templating, URL dispatchers, Underpowered object-relational mapping, internal subcomponents coupling, whereas Laravel has a few cons as huge static method calling and slow performance.
- Django has various middleware support whereas Laravel has only HTTP middleware. Compared to Laravel, Django is a little bit faster as it uses the programming language Python which is fast in execution, whereas Laravel uses PHP which is slower in comparison to Python.
- Django has a lot of built-in tools such as decorators, SEO tools, third-party libraries, etc, on the other hand, Laravel has simpler features and contains method injection.
- Django components are proven to be lightweight in comparison and have serialization and validation systems that are used to translate between web page forms, and database values whereas Laravel have a composer tool that loads all the dependencies and libraries using a file called composer.json that is used to place in the source folder.
- Django supports ORM or Object Relational Mapping and provides an interface between the application and database to persist the database efficiently whereas Laravel provides query builder and ORM support with an active record implementation.
- Django support multilingual support which is compatible with many multilingual websites using its built-in internationalization system that is present in the internal system. On the other hand, Laravel contains different namespaces as well as interfaces that are used to manage the resources.
- Django supports administrative graphical user interfaces that are a kind of ready to use interface for administrative tasks or activities. On the other hand, Laravel authentication and templating engine that is used to design the hierarchy schemas and layouts also include some dynamic content
- Django supports some different frameworks like AJAX, caching, RSS feeds and various other features, on the other hand, Laravel has configuration management, routing, and testability where the configuration of management activities always are taking place consistently in different machines where the laravel framework is being used.
- Django provides a development environment that includes a lightweight web server that provides easier and faster deployment ensuring end-to-end development and testing activities. Laravel framework includes queues, events and command bus that is used to run the cron jobs and event command bus support executing different commands and dispatches different events in an easier way.
Recommended Reading: What are the benefits of using Laravel over plain PHP?
We have listed the subtle differences and made a head-to-head comparison between Django and Laravel. There will be instances and situations where Laravel is better and in some cases, Django is better.
It all depends on the scenario as well as the client requirements and benefits that you want your application to have. If you’re looking to hire laravel developers or hire django developers then do contact firstname.lastname@example.org