NodeJS v/s Ruby On Rails
Over 358 people have rated [5/5]
In this article we are going to compare and contrast two technologies, that is NodeJS and Ruby on Rails. Both of these frameworks are developed for web application designing and programming. Let see what sets them apart as well as the similarities and differences between each of them.
Difference between Ruby On Rails and NodeJS:
Ruby on Rails is a server-side web application framework written using the Ruby language. The Ruby language is general purpose. Ruby on Rails helps with the rapid application development approach that is used to assist developers with a lot of built-in features and enables the developer to focus solely on the application of business logic. An open-source Rails framework is the ideal platform for developing a web application that is backed by using a database.
There are several server-side capabilities that NodeJS is able to provide. A developer is able to listen to and can reply to HTTP requests on the computer, listening to the network traffic and at the same time access a database from the computer directly.
Recommended Reading: Asp.NET vs Node JS
Ruby On Rails is an MVC (Model-View-Controller) based web framework that is able to provide a structure for a database, webpages as well as web services. There are various wen standards such as JSON and XML that are used for data transfer purposes and are facilitated by Rails. There are some other paradigms that are promoted and supported by Rails such as CoC (Convention Over Configuration) and DRY(Don’t Repeat Yourself) and the active record pattern.
Ruby On Rails is loaded with several features that is aimed at making the developer more productive and efficient, by providing the ability like meta-programming. Compared to any other framework that uses code generation from scratch but Rails uses meta-programming techniques. Rails also provide code generation techniques but it uses meta-programming for heavier tasks. An active record would provide saving the object to the database. Rails do not use much of the configuration techniques but prefer the use of the conventional approach.
Rails that made its mark in the early 2000s have greatly impacted the web development field through the introduction of many innovative features such as seamless database table creations, migrations to enable rapid application development, and so on. Its influence on other frameworks is pretty apparent.
You may also like to know: Ruby vs Ruby on Rails
Head To Head Comparison of NodeJS VS RoR:
Ruby On Rails
|Ruby on Rails framework is developed using Ruby.|
The application developed in NodeJS are fast and scalable that run on the server-side
Applications developed using RoR are database-backed web applications and uses meta programming
NodeJS is extremely useful when the requirement is for developing applications that are scalable as well as fast.
RoR is best suited for large scale applications.
Developers can use NodeJS applications for both on the client-side as well as the server-side
RoR is an entirely a server-side framework and does not have any client-side support
For using NodeJS, you need to install the archive file on the system
For using RoR, you need a precompiled version of Ruby via the RubyInstaller / RailsInstaller
Applications that are written using NodeJS are Highly Scalable
Applications written using RoR are less scalable compared to NodeJS applications
The page load speed is faster across the site
The page load speed is slower compared to NodeJS
There is a huge market demand for NodeJS developers
RoR is not as popular compared to NodeJS in the current scenario
Key differences between NodeJS and Ruby On Rails.
- Node JS is ideal for developing small size projects whereas Rails is a web application framework, well suited for database-backed web applications in MVC pattern, released in 2008.
- NodeJS is best suited for I/O non-blocking, event-based application whereas Rails is better suited for meta programming and database-backed modern web programming.
- NodeJS is derived from event-driven model architecture whereas Rails follows a model-view-controller pattern, the model represents the data that is handled in an Active Record.
- NodeJS provides capabilities to create own web servers which will handle HTTP request asynchronously whereas Rails uses WE Brick, Apache, NGINX, Cherokee.
- NodeJS has a moderately sized community that is helpful with lots of projects available with Github whereas Rails has a huge and strong community of developers along with a huge repository of Github.
- NodeJS has an event-driven model and this is based on the asynchronous call, whereas the philosophy for Rails revolves around convention over configuration principle.
- NodeJS is easier to install with some archive files that need to be installed on the system whereas the Rails installation process is longer than NodeJS.
NodeJS and RoR are two different technologies that have its own benefits or uses as well as their pros and cons. Each technology for usage depends on the scenario and the uses that you want to harness and make use of in your applications. It all depends on your personal preferences and what you like the most on these platforms or languages.
If you liked this article and have found it to be informative, then you can check out our other articles. If you want to hire Node JS developers or if you’re looking to hire Ruby On Rails developer for your project then contact us on email@example.com. We have expert professionals ready to onboard for your project.