Hapi Vs Express: Node JS Framework Comparison
439 People rated 5/5
In this article, we are going to compare two of the newest frameworks. Hapi and Express.
Let us discuss the basics of Hapi and then we will move on to Express.
What is Hapi?
Hapi is an open-source and a rich framework built on Node.JS maintained as well as created by Eran Hammer. Hapi is a rich framework used for building services and applications. The framework enables developers to focus on writing reusable application logic. The focus is shifted towards business logic code for building applications instead of spending time building the required infrastructure. The framework encourages reusability of existing code.
There are several organizations that use Hapi which includes PayPal, Clarify, Vendigo, Npm, Pling. These organizations already use Hapi in production. Hapi is a framework that is designed from the ground up to give programmers greater flexibility when compared to any other Node.JS frameworks. The framework’s architecture makes it perfect for ground-up development. There is detailed documentation available and there is an enthusiastic community of users. Furthermore, there are dozens of software plugins available to provide any kind of feature you are trying to build inside of your application.
I suggest reading the post where I have discussed: Angular Js Vs Node JS
- Authorization and Authentication: Hapi ships with built-in authorization and authentication schemes and strategies. Anonymous, cookie-based, basic-auth, as well as token-based authentication schemes, are already provided in the Node.js framework.
- Caching: Hapi provides powerful server side as well as client-side caching schemes via catbox and makes the usage of cache very convenient.
- Routing: Hapi has a built-in router facility that allows you to express how your API routes or your web application should look
- Validation: Using JOI, object schema validation is very easy and efficient in Hapi
- Cookies: Hapi provides developers with several configuration options that make dealing with cookies very flexible, safe as well as simple.
- Logging: Logging is the key when it comes to developing quality software. Hapi comes with built-in logging methods.
- Simple Error handling: Boom provides a collection of utilities that returns HTTP friendly error objects.
- Process monitoring: Good is a Hapi plugin that is used to monitor and report on a variety of server events as well as to provide Ops information from the host machine.
What is Express?
Express is a widely used and very popular Node.JS framework. Express is a very minimal framework. You need to add more packages in order to provide several functionalities. Hapi, on the other hand, provides many functionalities right out of the box using a robustly built API
Express is a fast, essential, assertive, modern framework that is built using Node.JS. You can assume Express to be a layer of the framework that is built on top of Node JS. The framework is able to manage the server and its routes. Express provides a robust set of features that helps to develop mobile and web applications.
Awesome Web App Ideas
- It is asynchronous and therefore used for its single threaded applications
- It provides developers with an MVC like structure
- Express provides a robust API that makes routing easy and is efficient at it.
- Express encourages developers to write fewer lines of code in order to accomplish a certain programming task
- It provides an Ultrafast Input-Output system to developers
- Using Express you can build Restful APIs faster
- Express provides support for NoSQL databases right out of the box
Let’s compare Hapi and Express side by side.
We accomplished the following things
- Compared the two frameworks side by side
- Saw which framework works best in which scenario
- Discussed the merits and demerits of the frameworks
If you’re keen to develop your next web application using Hapi or Express, do give us a call.
If you’re looking to hire Node js developers for your next web application, contact us and we will get you in touch with our expert back end team who will help you to design your next application.